United Reformed Church
This was originally one of the tanning barns of the hide business (see record 0486 for more detail), being owned by William Waine who sold it in 1840 to the Congregationalists who founded the church here in 1843, although Wheatley people had joined this congregation in 1796, worshipping elsewhere. The schoolroom overlooking Crown Square was built in 1898.
The pre-1897 photo shows the chapel and the cottage(s) which Iliffe Pike gave for the site of the schoolroom. Mr East, known as Bumper East as he had a wooden leg, is standing in the foreground. Lamp on corner of the cottage was lit manually for a few hours every evening by a member of the Shepherd family.