107 High Street The Post Office

  • Post office and shop
  • 2018
  • 1988 with postmen on bicycles as shown in the Centenary booklet
Archive Notes:

An 18th century building. Post Office business was carried on in the White Hart from 1650 or so until 1788 when it was transferred to the Crown Inn until 1847, when it then moved to 48 High Street. Dorothy Avery remembered living here until she was about 6. Mr & Mrs Slatter bought it, moving the Post Office from 48 High Street at the bottom of Station Road in 1926. Later postmasters were Mr. Coleman in 1961, Mr. McGowan in September 1967 to September 1982, then Mr. Adams until 1987 when Neil MacCormack (the current postmaster in 2018) took it on. It stayed here until 2017 when MacCormack moved it to 89 High Street adjacent Merry Bells.

Archive Number: