95-97 High Street

  • 1925. Harris's shops
  • 1925 with both buildings clearly shown as being traded as shops by Harris
  • Huxter carrier outside Harris's shop c. 1910
  • 97 High Street ceased to be a shop in the early 1960s
  • Early photo showing the wall, later demolished to create space for Barclays Bank
  • 2018. 97 High Street
Archive Notes:

When Harris's shop and stores (and no 95). Photos taken in 1910, 1925.

This was a house built in the 18th century. By 1876 it had become a shop kept by Joshua Harris, who sold millinery, grocery, ironmongery and medicines. It remained in the Harris family until 1967 when Mr. J C Kelly took it over and called it James’s Supermarket. Nos. 95 and 97 were then separated No. 95 remaining a store. The entrance was altered, the garden wall demolished and Barclay's Bank built. Both properties are now houses.

See also record number 1930.

Map Address:
Archive Number: