The Merry Bells

  • 1988. Library in the left part of the building
  • 1988, Parish Council meeting with Councillors as shown in the Centenary booklet
Archive Notes:

Article in Oxford Mail May 1972 re Mrs Miller and the temperance house

Since the building of the new turnpike road from Oxford to London in 1775, trade had slumped. The village had become a refuge for rough quarry workers, highwaymen and students. In fact, if you fancied a pint of beer and a punch-up, it seems that Wheatley had been the place to go. The change in Wheatley’s profile began by the banning guns and dogs in 1834, followed by a halt to bull-baiting and badger-baiting. Finally came the Merry Bells in 1888, provided by Mrs Miller of Shotover as a temperance place for the improvement of the social life of Wheatley. It was a coffee house with ‘two large meeting rooms, a refreshment bar, a bathroom, cubicles, commercial and travellers rooms and stable accommodation for four horses’. Bought as a village hall in 1970. The original library was in the left part of the building, now (2018) the Parish Council office

Archive Number: