64 High Street, Chillingworth House, formerly The Bell Inn
Write-ups on Chillingworth House and Vale Brook House
The deeds go back to 1612 when the Bell Inn was first sold. It was still an inn in 1847 and by 1854, the licensee and/or owner was John Ring who borrowed £250 from William Chillingworth, but by the end of December 1862, John Ring was unable to repay his £250 loan so instead sold the following properties to William Chillingworth in satisfaction of this. It is believed that Chillingworth then had the property re-modelled with a brick façade in Flemish bond style to the Bell Lane frontage.