26 Crown Road, Mulberry Court
2 pages of the history of Mulberry Court written by John Fox.
The present house dates from mid-17th century.
The Gadbury family lived here 1612 in the ‘third last house’. Gadbury leased 180 strips from All Souls College. In 1661 John Gadbury ‘gent’ died and Mulberry Court was bought by William Whorewood (William Whorwood) in 1662. The cottage on Crown Road was the lower kitchen. This latter had moved out of the ownership of Mulberry Court in 1690 or earlier before being purchased by William Whorwood Adeane in 1755, re-uniting the ownership of the cottage and Mulberry Court (for more details see record 1007). It passed out of the Adeane family on the death of William in 1782 (or earlier?) as he had no heirs, save four cousins. The new owners were John and Thomas Walker
The barn has an unusual roof structure see David Clark, Cranked Inner Principals, Vernacular Architecture Vol 35 (2004), pp. 32-39, and also see article in accession 1003.
At some time known as The Elms, it was renamed Mulberry Court by the owner Ivy Morgan (lived there 1943-1962) when the elm trees were felled.